Saturday, April 14, 2012

PartyMode Part IV :No Sew Tutu Tutorial

On my "Mommy BucketList" I had to one day make a "Homemade TuTu" for my little girl! I thought the perfect time was to do it for her 1st "Lady Bug" Birthday Party, that will be in 3 weeks!!!


What You'll Need:
1 Pre-made Crochet Headband( Joann's Fabric $1.99)

1-roll of 25 yard, 6" tulle- the more you use, the fluffier and more full the tutu is.( Joann's Fabric $2.99)

Scissors

A hard cover book to stretch the headband over. It should stretch it, without it being stretched to it's limits- it should be able to move easily.
Directions:
1. First, you want to decide on the length of the tutu. I found it was easiest to hold it against my little lady. You'll need to fold it in half before cutting it, to double the length. Cut your tulle to that length until you have a good stash.

2. Stretch your head band over the book and adjust it so it's stretched evenly.


3. Fold a length of tulle in half, and pinch the folded side. From there, push it through one of the holes from behind so the loop is poking out the top, visible side of the headband. Using your fingers, spread the loop open so there is a hole. Take the ends of the tulle length, and push them through the loop.


4. Once they are through, carefully tug the length until it 'ties' into a tight knot on the headband. Smooth it down, and move on to the next loop. Continue until you have filled that row of holes.



4. Once it's filled out, lay it on a flat surface so that it forms a circle with all the tulle spread out nice and straight. You will want to give it a 'hair cut' to even the strands out, and this is the easiest way to do that.


5. I really wanted to run with my  "LadyBug" theme so I added some pompoms($1.99 JoAnn's Fabric) with hot glue!
6. I also used some ribbon(recycled from another project) for some added cuteness! I  pulled it in and out of the crochet headband to make it stay in place!




















Come back next week to see the next thing I have created, with only  3 weeks left until the my Lil Lady celebrates the big 1!!!
Here is a list of what has been completed:
4: This Lady Bug TuTu ($7)

19 comments:

Jess said...

That tutu is adorable! My daughter wears them all the time and it never occurred to me to make some! Thanks for tutorial!! (visiting from UBP, thanks for visiting me!)

Jess from A Winding Road

Libby said...

This tutu is so adorable! This is the first one I've seen made from a headband. What a cool idea!

Our Pinteresting Family said...

Such a great idea to use a headband. I love that it is no sew...since I can't sew...lol. Pinning this for future reference. Megan

Wendy@FabNouveau said...

This ismso lovely. Thank you. New visitor

Unknown said...

using a headband...GREAT idea!!

Lisa Fliehman said...

I love it!! My husband and I just went to a street fair a few towns over from us on the 1st of April. I have to say, I usually just pass by anything girly. I have two grown sons and never really found much interest in looking at little girl stuff. But a gal had a booth there and she had some of the cutest tutu's I have ever seen. And wouldn't you know, made out of the headband you are using. Yours is adorable! I love the ladybug look!! Thanks for linking up over at SweetTalkin' Sunday Link Party!!

Unknown said...

Oh this is such a cute tutu! :) Now I just need a girl to make one for:) I love your blog! Your little ones are adorable! Thanks for visiting me on mine! Take care:)

Anonymous said...

LOve it! Such a great idea!
Mari-
www.inspiredbyfamilymag.com

Anita Rowe Stafford said...

This tutu is so pretty, you did a great job, very clever! Your little daughter will be so adorable wearing it!

Cindy said...

Genius! So simple and cute. It really turned out great!

Unknown said...

I love the tutu! I never thought of using a headband like you did. The pom pom are a fabulous addition. Thanks so much for sharing at Whimsy Wednesdays at The NY Melrose Family .

Simply Tasheena said...

The tutu is too cute!

Mrs. Delightful
www.ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I love the use of the headband as the waistband. I normally use ribbon but am going to have to try this out!

Kathe said...

Too stickin' cute! I wish I had a little girl cuz I would totally try making this! And so inexpensive! I'd love it if you shared at my new Tuesday link party starting April 24th!
http://www.kathewithane.com/2012/04/youre-gonna-love-it.html

Pams Party said...

This is such a cute way to make a Tutu. I made some for my daughters Tinkerbell party several years ago and sewed them all which was not fun. I would love it if you would stop by and link this adorable tutu up on my new linky party Dare to Share.

Pam
http://pamspartyplanning.blogspot.com/2012/04/dare-to-share-4.html

Bethany @ A Fish Who Likes Flowers said...

I love the lady bug theme of your tutu! I recently made one myself for my niece, but now I'm wishing I would have thought of something as clever as this. I bet your little one looks adorable in it! Thanks for sharing!

Six Sisters said...

This is so cute and way easy! Can't wait to make this for our little girls! We loved having you link up to our "Strut Your Stuff Saturday." Please join us again next week! Thanks! -The Sisters

blissfulsewing said...

What a pretty tutu skirt! I would love to try something like this
www.blissfulsewing.blogspot.com

sashkonela said...

You are so creative. I love the way you make perfect things from only a few materials and on a simple way.